Located in Eastern Europe, Ukraine is the second-largest country in the continent. The newly liberated country has been a focal point of the world for quite a while now. With a rugged history of occupation by various authoritarian governments, Ukraine became independent in 1991 with the dissolution of the USSR, and since, has seen growth in almost all aspects, be it education, tourism, or economy. The capital of Ukraine is Kiev (locally called Kyiv), which is the most populated and one of the most well-maintained, developed, and scenic cities in the country. The capital is located along the Dnieper River, which is one of the major sources of water in the country. The climate in Ukraine is cool, with the winters witnessing temperatures as low as -20°C; but the summers here are warm, especially in the Southern part of the country.
The Ukrainian nationals are very welcoming and have an interactive culture. The foreigners visiting or studying in the country feel at ease in Ukraine because of its interactive and vibrant culture. Ukraine is highly regarded for its little to no racism incidents, as the country makes the foreigners visiting, staying or studying here feel at home. As for food culture, the country has a major farming landscape, which makes the food culture here thriving and engaging. Some of the most popular traditional Ukranian cuisines are Salo, Borshch, Pampushky, Varenyky, and Holubtsi. The country also has a good fusion food culture, with many chain restaurants offering the foreigners with a variety of options to try.
Since its independence, Ukraine has seen a huge growth in its education industry, and the government has been actively investing in various programs and institutions to attract students from all around the world to get their education from here. Education has become one of the most thriving industries in the country, and medical education is the pioneer that is carrying forward this movement. Medical institutions in Ukraine have been attracting a lot of attention from Asian countries, especially from India due to many reasons. In this blog, we will take a look into what is making Ukraine a popular destination for getting an MBBS degree, what are the procedures involved, things you should know before applying for education in Ukraine, and what are the perks and challenges that come with getting an MBBS from Ukraine.
The Ukrainian Government has been very keen on evolving its education system since its independence. Offering various incentives, the education industry soon started thriving, and quickly became a focal point for the country. The main reason for this was the medical education in Ukraine. Getting an MBBS from Ukraine has not only become a financially convenient option for students from all around the globe but has also shown a scope for exponential growth. With constant support from the government in terms of funding and gaining accreditation, getting an MBBS in Ukraine is one of the most popular choices for Asian aspirants.
The departments, specialties, and internship opportunities in Ukraine are many, and you can get an MBBS, MD, and even specialty courses of the highest level. With so much to offer, it’s no wonder medical education is playing such a key role in the evolution of the education system in Ukraine. The MBBS course in Ukrainian institutions lasts for 5.6 years, with 4 years of studying and one year of internship. There are many specialties that one can opt for after the completion of their under-graduation. The following fields are available for further studies in Ukraine:
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Infectious Diseases
- Dermatology and Venereology
- Pathological Anatomy
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Child Gynecology
- Hygiene of Children and Teenagers
- Pediatric Surgery
- Therapeutic Dentistry
- Orthopedic Dentistry
- Occupational Hygiene
- General Hygiene
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Surgical Dentistry
Perks of getting an MBBS Degree in Ukraine
There are numerous advantages of getting an MBBS degree from Ukraine. They are as follows:
- Institutions with accreditation from MCI (Medical Council of India), WHO (World Health Organization), UNESCO, and many other big organizations.
- An interactive and encouraging government, that is willing to support the growth of institutions.
- Comparatively cheaper fee structure than most of the Asian countries.
- Easy and seamless admission process.
- Convenient relocation process.
- Most of the institutions provide top-notch accommodations in the form of hostels.
- Diverse culture, that helps you in adapting to life in the country.
- The country has an open and welcoming culture when it comes to nationals from different countries. Racism in Ukraine is almost non-existent compared to other Asian countries.
- An MBBS degree attained from Ukraine is valid all over the world.
- The cost of living in Ukraine is very low when compared to other countries. Living costs in Ukraine are even lower than that of living in a metro city in India. Students can sustain themselves on a low budget and live comfortably in this country.
- Students are eligible to apply for licensing exams in Europe and Asia such as USMLE, PLAB, FMGE, etc.
Best Institutions to get an MBBS from in Ukraine
There are many new and old institutions that have set standards for medical education in Ukraine. With a multitude of medical colleges and universities in the country, here are the best ones to aim for MBBS in Ukraine: :
- Dnepr State Medical Academy
- Kyiv Medical University of UAFM
- Ivano Frankivsk State Medical Academy
- Kharkiv National Medical University
- Bukovnian State Medical University
- Lugansk State Medical University
- National Pirogov Memorial Medical University
- Uzhhorod National University
- Dnepropetrovsk State Medical University
- Ukraine Medical and Dental Academy
- Zaparozhyea State Medical University
- V N Karazin University
- Poltava Unrainian Medical And Dental University
- Odessa National Medical University
- O O Bogomolets National Medical University
- Kharkov National Medical University
- Sumy State University
- National University of Pharmacy
- Karazin Kharkov National University
List of MCI approved Institutions in Ukraine
Having recognition or approval from the Medical Council of India has become one of the most important factors in determining if the medical college or university should be opted for or not. In India, if you are getting your MBBS from any foreign country, getting an MBBS degree from an MCI approved institution means that you are eligible for practicing in India. If the institution you took your MBBS from isn’t MCI recognized or approved, you have to give FMGE (Foreign Medical Graduate Examination) and qualify in it post the completion of your degree, so that your eligibility to practice in India can be tested. Another added advantage for an MCI approval for Indian students is that the institution approved is 100% English Medium, which means that foreign language barrier won’t be a factor you would need to worry about for your course of duration in these colleges or universities.
The following institutions in Ukraine are recognized by the MCI:
- Bukovinian State Medical University BSMU
- Donetsk National Medical University (DNMU)
- Dnepropetrovsk State Medical Academy DSMA
- Kyiv Medical University of UAFM, Kyiv
- Ivano-Frankivsk State Medical Academy IFSMA
- Kharkiv National Medical University KNMU
- National Pirogov Memorial Medical University, Vinnytsia
- Lugansk State Medical University LSMU
- Poltava Ukrainian Medical And Dental University (UMSA)
- Odessa National Medical University (ONMU)
- O O Bogomolets National Medical University
- Ukranian Medical and Dental Academy as ( Poltava State National Medical Dental University) UMDA
- Sumy State University, Sumy
- V N Karazin University
- Uzhhorod National University, Ukraine
- Zaparozhyea State Medical University ZSMU
Eligibility Criteria for MBBS in Ukraine
The eligibility criteria for getting into the MBBS program in Ukraine differs from institution to institution. The country, in general, doesn’t organize any entrance exams on a national level for entrance in medical institutions. The students from abroad looking for admission in the MBBS program in any of the colleges in Ukraine have to clear their higher secondary school examination in the Biology stream, and only then can they apply for any program in the country.
Although, clearing an entrance exam of your country will definitely give you leeway and push you forward in the admission process. For Indians, if they score qualifying marks in NEET, it provides a huge advantage in the admission process, especially in the colleges that take in lesser number of foreign students. Qualifying the NEET entrance exam before studying in Ukraine is particularly mandatory for students who want to practice in India post completion of their degree.
Getting into a medical college in Ukraine is a fairly simple process, but researching the official website of the college or university you are aiming to get into is highly recommended, as many of them have a separate list of requirements for the eligibility criteria, and knowing them before handed will definitely give you an edge over other applicants.
Documents Required for Admission and VISA process
The admission process in a medical college or university in Ukraine is usually a two-step process.
The first step involves mailing the institution the following documents:
- Copy of ID Card and International Passport
- Copy of the Higher Secondary School mark-sheet attested by the school
- Filled Application Form
After reviewing these documents, the institution will notify you over your email ID or over a phone call that your application has been accepted. After this confirmation, you have to pay anywhere from $100 to $500, depending upon the college, to get your invitation letter. The invitation letter acts as the original admission application, which you have to fill, and submit along with the following documents. This is the second step.
- Invitation letter from the institution you applied to or by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine
- Minimum ten passport-sized photos
- Letter of Recommendation from your school
- Copy of your passport
- Copy of your birth certificate
- Copy of your 10th and 12th mark sheet
- Medical certificate for proof of physical wellness
- Police verification certificate for proof of good character
- Physical exam reports translated into the Ukrainian language and permitted by the Ukrainian embassy of your country
- Completed application form of the institution
This step takes a little longer, as many of these documents like police verification certificate or physical exam reports in Ukrainian language are usually not in the possession of applicants. It is advised that after completing step 1 or even before that, the applicants get these documents sorted out, so the procedure can be smooth and you can claim your seat quickly.
To apply for a VISA, the applicants have to submit a copy of the invitation letter to the Embassy of Ukraine in India at least 3 months before moving to Ukraine. The embassy will issue a form and you will have to fill it and submit along with the following documents:
- Signed VISA application form from the college or university you have applied to
- 2 photographs of the applicant (35×45 mm)
- Proof of sufficient funds (Copy of bank passbook of parents or guardians or yours which has sufficient funds)
You can even apply for an E-VISA through Ukraine’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for a single entry 30-Day VISA if you need to visit Ukraine urgently to address any issue or for some overdue or for some overdue process.
Once the documents are in order the admission procedure is relatively easy. You now need to fill in the invitation letter, complete the application form and complete the following steps:
- Write an application to the Rector of the University for enrollment
- Carry original copies of required documents, translated into the Ukrainian language and legitimated by Notary public as well as the Ukrainian Embassy of your country
- Finally, deposit the admission fee during the time of the admission process
This procedure is fairly easy and convenient for Indian applicants, as the Ukranian Embassy in India is very active in helping the students in the admission process thus making it a smooth transition.
Fee Structure for MBBS- Tuition and Living
Every college and university in Ukraine has its own fee structure. That being said, Ukraine has the most affordable education system in Asia. You can complete your MBBS in Ukraine for an average tuition fee of INR 18,00,000/-, which is very less compared to private and government Indian institutions.
The cost of living in Ukraine is fairly cheap too. For accommodations, all the colleges and universities in Ukraine provide top-class hostels to its students and if you choose to live outside then the costs may be a bit high comparatively. It costs an average of INR 90,000 annually for accommodation and canteen/food charges in Ukraine.
Scholarships You Can Avail in Ukraine for MBBS
Although the medical course fees in Ukraine is very cheap, the country provides ample opportunities to both nationals and foreigners to avail scholarships to reduce the financial load from their shoulders. There are no official scholarship programs available in the country, but there are many colleges and universities that conduct separate examinations for students to avail scholarships. In many medical colleges, there is even a precedent to provide a certain amount of scholarship for students maintaining a good GPA after their first year of MBBS.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Getting MBBS from Ukraine
Studying anywhere in the world comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Ukraine, too has its share of pros and cons as listed below:
- Ukraine’s medical institutions are accredited by various high profile organizations in the world, elevating the value of the degree obtained from the country.
- MBBS from Ukraine is valid in all parts of the world, so if you get your MBBS from the country, you would be eligible for further studies and/or for practicing in whichever country you like, given you follow the proper procedure for either of the scenarios.
- The education and living expenses in Ukraine are very low, compared to the other Asian countries offering the same facilities. For Indians especially, MBBS in Ukraine can turn out to be a major money saver and professional future booster.
- The environment in Ukraine is good, with an interactive and diverse community, with little to no cases of racism. Foreigners don’t feel alienated in Ukraine, and can adapt to the lifestyle of the country easily
- Since the scholarships are few in number compared to the number of claimants, students have to make sure that they will be in a position to bear the expenses for the entire course of study.
- There are only 17 MCI recognized institutions in Ukraine. This means that if you get your MBBS from any other institution in the country, you’d have to sit through qualifying examinations like FMGE to be able to practice in India.
- If you are aiming for further studies in other countries post the completion of your degree, the preparation takes a toll on students since it has to be done during their internship period. This is because their VISAs will expire once their internship is done and they’ll have to move out of the country unless they are going to pursue their further studies in Ukraine itself.
- The climate in the country can turn out to be difficult to adapt to for many Indians, as the winters are freezing with temperatures falling as low as -25°C.
Career Scope after Getting MBBS in Ukraine
As mentioned above, MBBS from Ukraine is valid all over the world. The scope of getting an MBBS from the country varies from continent to continent. For instance, if you get an MBBS from an MCI recognized institution in Ukraine, you are eligible to practice in India, and other countries as well, else, you qualify the FMGE. Similarly, an MBBS degree from Ukraine makes you eligible to practice in most of the European countries after giving the qualifying examinations of the country you are aiming for.
Q1. What is the minimum age to apply for a medical college in Ukraine?
Ans. You have to be at least 17 years old to apply for admission to a medical college in Ukraine.
Q2. Will I be allowed to practice in India after I complete my MBBS degree from Ukraine?
Ans. If you get your MBBS from an MCI recognized institution in Ukraine, yes. If not, then you’ll have to qualify the FMGE to be eligible to practice in India.
Q3. What languages do I need to learn before moving to Ukraine?
Ans. Ukraine’s official language is Ukranian, but there is also a major population that speaks Romanian. And as most of the country is fluent in English due to the EU ties, you don’t need to learn any new languages.
Q4. Are there Indian medical students studying in Ukraine?
Ans. Yes, there are hundreds of Indians who get admitted to medical colleges in Ukraine every year. Ukraine has become a popular location for Indians aiming to pursue medical studies because of its many advantages and low tuition costs.
Q5. How to contact the Embassy of Ukraine in India?
Ans. The Embassy of Ukraine is located in Vasant Vihar, New Delhi in India. You can also contact the embassy via this number- 00911126146041, and you can also email them at “firstname.lastname@example.org”
Q6. How old would I have to be to apply for an MBBS degree in Ukraine?
Ans. The minimum age of the applicant should be 17 years in the year of applying].(Same as question 1)
Q7. What is the duration of internship required to get an MBBS degree in Ukraine?
Ans. Minimum duration of 12 months is mandatory for the students after 4.5 years of studying MBBS.
Q8. Are there any student exchange programs for MBBS in Ukraine?
Ans. Some institutions in Ukraine have partnerships with many universities in the world, and occasionally organize student exchange programs for duration of 2 semesters. You can check the official website of the institution you are applying to see if they offer any student exchange programs.
We Bright Path Team is always available to get you an easy way to admission in best university and care for all Process and Visa related things. CONTACT US!